PsychMaps offered professionally registered counsellors with extensive experience in the alcohol and drug and mental health sectors.
PsychMaps’ registered counsellors provide counselling support that focuses on:
- Working together towards your goals for change
- Help to clarify what is most important to you in life
- Motivational support to live your life by those values
- Proven strategies to address unhelpful patterns of thoughts, feelings and behaviours
- Extensive experience with treatment for alcohol and drug and mental health concerns
- Support to process difficult childhood experiences (for example, living with an alcoholic parent), or traumatic experiences (for example, an assault)
- Mindfulness-based counselling approaches (Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance & Commitment Therapy or Schema Therapy)
- Incorporating the latest research into the effects of stress and trauma on the mind, brain and body
Helpful Counselling Frameworks
Counselling frameworks often used by PsychMaps include:
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – see the Association for Contextual Behavioural Science (ACBS)
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) – see the Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy (AACBT)
- Schema Therapy (effective with relationships of all kinds) – see the Schema Therapy Institute
- Narrative Therapy – see The Dulwich Centre
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy – see the Solution-Focused Brief Therapy Association (SFBTA)
- Interpersonal Neurobiology and Attachment Theory – see the Global Association for Interpersonal Neurobiology Studies (GAINS)
Estelle’s Experience as a Clinical Psychotherapist
Estelle has extensive experience working in a range of treatment settings for mental health and substance use.
This experience ranges from counselling youth (individually and in groups) in both a residential rehabilitation and outpatient treatment setting, to managing teams of counsellors working with mental health and substance use, to coordinating capacity-building initiatives improving the ability of an organisation to address mental health and substance use, to working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
With a Masters of Mental Health Sciences, Estelle’s passion is for providing outcome focused, evidence-based therapy, incorporating mindfulness training with cognitive and behavioural strategies for supporting clients to manage unpleasant thoughts and feelings, especially in relation to past traumatic experiences.
These skills extend to providing clinical supervision to human services workers and developing treatment programs for human services organisations.
Estelle is affiliated with the Counsellors’ and Psychotherapists’ Association of Victoria (CAPAV) and the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA).
Guy’s Experience as a Psychologist
Guy has extensive experience working with mental health and alcohol or drug concerns. He has worked in both clinical and managerial roles, across a range of settings, from community-based organisations, to aboriginal communities, to private practice.
Guy offers a broad range of skills in individual or group counselling. He incorporates a range of scientifically supported counselling frameworks. These involve using mindfulness to help identify and relieve the struggle with uncomfortable experiences, such as depression or anxiety.
These skills also extend to providing clinical supervision to human services workers and developing treatment programs for organisations.
Guy is affiliated with the Australian Psychological Society (www.psychology.org.au) and registered with the psychology Board of Australia (www.psychologyboard.gov.au).
Rebates for Seeing Registered Counsellors
PsychMaps offers affordable rates, including private healthcare and Medicare rebates with a GP referral under the Better Access initiative.
PsychMaps provides professional counselling services in Carlton and Brunswick. See the link above for directions to these locations.
How to Get Started
Please email PsychMaps – or call us on 0401431931 – to discuss how we can help you with counselling or other services.
Counselling via Skype or phone is also available.